Friday, August 13, 2010

WebQuests

Since learning about them in this course, I have really grown fond of WebQuests. I think there are a lot of high quality WebQuests out there that could really be beneficial for students. Furthermore, I really enjoyed making a WebQuest to use in my classroom this upcoming year. My plan is to make several throughout the year, to match the curriculum across all subject matter, so I can use them throughout the years.

One of the great things about WebQuests is how they can be used across all subject matter. Although the one I made for this course was for first grade science (particularly weather), I intend on making them for math units, language arts curriculum, other science topics, social studies curriculum, etc. The other great thing about making your own WebQuests is that you can tailor them to fit the specific needs of your students and your curriculum. Likewise, you can use all sorts of pedagogical strategies with your students. The possibilities are really endless with Webquests; they are as creative as you make them to be. You could do a wide variety of activities with them as well, whole group, small group, partner, independent, etc.


Some of the technologies I feel would be more difficult to use with my students (mainly because of their young ages) are Wikis, RSS Feeds, and blogs. Some of the technologies I plan on using with my first graders include online gaming, podcasting, online research, virtual field trips, and interactive discussions between students.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - I am impressed with your initiative! I applaud you for seeing the ways WebQuests can impact your students and desiring to create more of them for all your subject matter. I hope you stick to that goal and create a few more during the year. They really are wonderful resources and not too difficult to create. It's a great way to bring technology and collaborative work into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are open to borrowing from great WebQuests that other teachers have made. I think this might be key to fully implementing WebQuests in the classroom. I felt like the Webquest we created for this class was really time consuming! During the school year, it might be really tough to find the time to create these on short time frames. I think with a mixing of your own ideas and borrowing other people's 'blueprints,' you can do just what you've set out to do... put WebQuests to work all across the content areas! Just don't be afraid to borrow, it might be the key to keeping your sanity and sticking to your goal. Great plans, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like WebQuests, too. I saw yours when Melissa was showcasing them and it looked really good. My plan is to use my insect WebQuest this year, borrow one I found for the solar system, and make more next summer. Maybe I'll start on another one sooner, but they take so long. Good luck to you with making more this year! It sounds like you have some other great ideas for your class, too.

    ReplyDelete