Friday, July 23, 2010

Wikis and Wikipedia

When I searched Wikipedia for my school, it lead me to a page for all of East Lansing Public Schools. The page included information about each one of the schools in ELPS, so I added information for Donley Elementary School. I added the name of our principal (Marcy Kinzer), and a link to the school's webpage. Below is a screen shot of what the Wikipedia page now looks like.



In terms of my Wiki, since I have used Wikispaces quite a few time through my course work for MSU, I decided to try out a different program, PB Works. It was fairly easy to use, a bit more confusing than Wikispaces, but not bad. I added a slideshow of pictures from my student teaching experience. It was the first time I had used slide.com, and I have to say, it was a fun program to use. I also made a sidebar with links to other sites I have created throughout this course. I am still not exactly sure what I would want to use a Wiki for. Perhaps to collaborate with the other first grade teachers I work with this year. You can access my Wiki by clicking here.

3 comments:

  1. Great job on your wiki! And I am impressed that you challenged yourself to figure out a new program since you had used wikispaces already. I am rather new to wikis and had not enjoyed using them previously. Watching the tutorials and creating my own wiki makes me see how easy they really are to use. Suzy had a great way she has used them with her 3rd graders, but I can see how it would be more challenging to use them with younger students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Megan! I love your slide show. I didn't know about slide.com before, and I had no idea you could put a slide show in a Wiki...but then why not? Thanks for teaching me more things...I am just learning so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool slideshow... I had not heard of this site before. I too am struggling to figure out how I want to use a Wiki. I have a lot of fellow teachers in my building who are pretty set in their ways-- I don't think they would be interested in sitting down and learning a new technology in order to collaborate with me. They're old fashioned gals. Maybe it would be good to share a project you've already done with your coworkers to spark an interest.

    ReplyDelete